This is the first in our series of Interesting Ryde Architecture.
Located at 44 High Street, Ryde. Originally known as the Eagle Inn, it was the front bar of the Eagle Brewery owned by the Lake family. Later acquired by Edward Sweetman, senior, who almost rebuilt it in 1895, named then as the Eagle Hotel. Closed in 1972. The Eagle tap in Warwick place (Hole in the wall) also closed 1972.
source: RSHG Archives
Photograph by Tracy Welstead