This unusual style arch by the pavement, at the entrance to The Melville, 29 Melville Street, Ryde, on the north side of the street.
In the 1910 Kelly’s Directory, number 29 was Caithness House, the occupier being Henry W. Street. M.A. cantab.
The 1935 & 1937 Kelly’s Directorys, show a Mr Gilbert Bailey residing at number 29.
In the 1951 Kelly’s Directory, number 29 was listed as the Connemara Guest House (Mr and Mrs C. Wright) telephone no. Ryde 3444.
The 1954 Ryde & Seaview Guide (with photo) states: Connemara Guest House. An excellently situated house standing in its own grounds with sea views from all back windows. All conveniences and comforts of a modern hotel. Spacious Dining Room with separate tables. H. & C. in all bedrooms. Three minutes from sea and Highly recommended. Terms for Full Board from 4 and half to 6 gns. Bed, Breakfast, etc. at same ratio.
Photograph taken 2017 by Tracy Welstead