Ryde Heritage Audio Trail
Ryde Heritage Audio Trail launched on Saturday 15 May 2010 at St Thomas Heritage Centre, St Thomas Street, Ryde.
Ryde Social Heritage Group worked with Living Links for two years to produce this exciting project.
Living Links is a three year Heritage Lottery funded project to help local communities across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight celebrate their stories. The project is supported by the Isle of Wight Record Office and Hampshire Archives Trust. The project has provided support to local community groups by delivering Archive Ambassador training across the region and has also funded a number of creative projects including the Ryde Heritage Audio Trail.
Ryde Heritage Audio Trail is a guided walk
Ryde Heritage Audio Trail is a guided walk around Ryde, starting at Lind Street, going to St Thomas Square, down Union Street to the Pier, along the Esplanade to the far end of the Canoe Lake, then back along the Esplanade and up St Thomas Street ending at St Thomas Church. To walk the whole trail it will take about two hours and we have designed it to be accessible to wheelchair and mobility scooter users.
Along the Trail there are seventeen stops where you will be able to listen to the audio files (on mobile phones, tablets and other devices). All of the stops are illustrated with historic detail about the town which we have selected from archives and the audio files have been professionally produced by a company called ATS Heritage and sound fantastic!
Text files for each of the stops are available here.
In the meantime please play or download the audio files below:
You can click the green play button next to any of the audio trails to listen to them. Depending on your web browser you can also left or right click the audio trail description to download the mp3 file. You can also download all of the mp3 files here as a zip file.
- Welcome & Instructions (download mp3 file)
- Lind Street (download mp3 file)
- St Thomas Square (download mp3 file)
- Upper Union Street (download mp3 file)
- Mid Union Street (download mp3 file)
- Lower Union Street (download mp3 file)
- Ryde Pier (download mp3 file)
- Transport (download mp3 file)
- The Pavillion (download mp3 file)
- The Solent (download mp3 file)
- Appley Estate & Tower (download mp3 file)
- The Esplanade (download mp3 file)
- Ryde Castle Hotel (download mp3 file)
- Coastguard Cottages (download mp3 file)
- Hotels (download mp3 file)
- Royal Victoria Yacht Club (download mp3 file)
- Brigstocke Terrace (download mp3 file)
- St Thomas’ Church, The Garden of Rest (download mp3 file)
Text files are available to download here:
(or click here to download a zip file of all pdf’s)
- Welcome & Instructions
- Lind Street
- St Thomas Square
- Upper Union Street
- Mid Union Street
- Lower Union Street
- Ryde Pier
- The Pavillion
- The Solent
- Appley Estate & Tower
- The Esplanade
- Ryde Castle Hotel
- Coastguard Cottages
- Royal Victoria Yacht Club
- Brigstocke Terrace
- St Thomas’ Church, The Garden of Rest