The Old Theatre
This engraving dates from approximately 1840. The old Theatre in Ryde was built in the very early 19th Century (approx. 1811), by the Joint Stock Company, as a market house. The front was stuccoed with the royal arms in rude relief over a cornice, with niches and pedestals for statues over two of the entrances.
This building was at first intended for a market house, but the want of funds prevented the completion of the original design. The interior was small.
It was opened as a theatre by Mr Thornton manager of the Theatre Royal, Windsor, it gave performances from July to end of September each year. The theatre is famous for the last stage appearance of the actress Mrs Jordan in 1816 when on her way to France. The building was demolished in 1871 and replaced in 1872 by a larger theatre.
Mrs Jordan (mistress of William IV) died July 5th, 1816 at St. Cloud, France.
Image source: RSHG Archive Roy Brinton Collection