Ryde Social Heritage Group research the social history of the citizens of Ryde, Isle of Wight. Documenting their lives, businesses and burial transcriptions.
  • MENU

Photo of the month

The 1851 census returns for Buckland Grange show Mr. Alleyne Cox Yard in residence, a West India Proprietor, born in Barbados.


On the 10th October 1837 William Buckler Astley obtained a lease for 99 years on three lives, for a plot of ground by the shore and in the following year built St. George’s Field Villa.


Built in 1838 by builder James Langdon on a plot of land leased to him in that year.


Brandenburg Villa - Built in 1853 by James Langdon on a plot of land leased to him in 1851. 


Barsby Lodge. Built in 1857-1858, its first occupier was Mr. William Hall Gillson to whom it was leased on 11 February 1858 for 999 years.


The rear of Lynthorpe, Corbett Road, Ryde, previously the residence of Michael Maybrick, five  times Mayor of Ryde, and a composer of  music under the name of Stephen Adams.


Brook House Country Club, situated just off the main road through Binstead and extending in open country with a variety of amenities to please its clientele.


The Old Wesleyan Chapel, Nelson Street. It was built in 1842 at a cost of £1,500.