March 2008 – Additions to Records on the Website in February
Our research team led by Ann Barrett have been busy again in February and as well as updating the Looking Back feature at the top right hand side of the front page of the website, they have also uploaded additional information (including census details, marriage details, obituaries and funeral notices) to a phenomenal 76 records!
Well done to the whole team: Ann, Marilyn, Lydia, Diana and Shelagh for this outstanding work.
The additions include among others:
* the obituary for a Mr Brewster who was from the United States but always spent part of the year in Ryde and was well known for his generosity;
* a presentation to Mr Thomas A Gawn of an Imperial Service medal for long and faithful service as a Customs Officer at Ryde;
* death notice of Mrs Wellesley Hill who was the daughter of William Lake, a local brewer, and wife of the founder of Hill’s Stores in Ryde;
* inquest report of a fatal boat accident off Ryde in which a young man called Alfred Hopgood tragically died;
* death notice of Canon George Alexander Johnstone, a vicar of Ryde;
* death notice of a Mr A J Locke who was a notable Churchman of the town
* report of the death of Mr Bernard Marvin of the well-known local firm of auctioneers and estate agents, Messrs. E Marvin & Sons;
• death notice for Professor J Beart Simonds JP who was retired from the Royal Veterinary College;
* obituary for Mr William Harry Wallis another well known man about the town;
* death report for Admiral Philip Westphal the oldest commissioned officer in her Majesty’s navy;
* and much more.
To see the full list of additions made in February click on the link below. Then click on any of the names on the list to be taken to the grave record for that individual, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the link to open a word document with the additional information.