Royal Visit – August 1843
RYDE, August 28, half-past Three o’Clock.
The Queen has just landed, amidst the acclamations of thousands. Her Majesty was received by the Pier Directors, the Clergy, Magistrates and our numerous residents and visitors, with every demonstration of affectionate loyalty. The whole of the inhabitants testified the same ardent feeling. From the end of the pier her Majesty, Prince Albert, and suite, proceeded in carriages to St. Clare, the beautiful residence of colonel and Lady Catherine Harcourt, about a mile from the town. The royal party is expected to re-embark about six o’clock.
(Extract from Jackson’s Oxford Journal Saturday 2 September 1843)