November 2009 Additions to records
In November our small but busy research team added detail to another 51 records on the website.
This months additions include reports of:
* The death of Mr George Burrows, a “horse breaker”, in December 1885,
* The death and funeral of Dr John Baptiste Cahill, Second Bishop of Portsmouth, in August 1910. He spent many years at St Mary’s Roman Catholic church in Ryde and had many friends in the town,
* Details of the will of General Sir James Lillyman Caldwell GCB of Beachlands, Ryde,
* Details of the inquest into the death of Mr George Ellidge in January 1882,
* Details of the inquest into the death of Mr William Harvey in January 1885,
* The death of Nicholas Langdon in September 1858, he had helped gain Lord Howe’s victory in 1794 and was described as a hero,
* The death of Mr Edward S Langridge in February 1981, he was one of the last surviving Old Contemptibles on the the Island,
* The death of Louis Bernard St John Marvin in San Francisco in November 1882. He was the son of a Ryde Town Councillor,
* The death of Miss Lottie Rickard in March 1922. She ran a jewellers shop in Ryde with her sisters,
* The wedding of Miss Bertha Teague to Lieut Robert George Foster in December 1917.
These are just a few of the details added in November, for the full list please click on the link below.
If you are able to help with the fascinating aspect of our work and could spend even a short time at the Record Office, please contact Ann Barrett, the leader of our Research Team. You can contact Ann by clicking on the Contact Us button at the top of the page.
Update 31 December 2009 – My apologies, my colleague Carol told me I forgot to add the link to the page, so here it is better late than never!