JANUARY 2012 ADDITIONS TO RECORDS
In January our Research Team, led by Ann Barrett, added biographical detail to 31 records on the website. Archives of local newspapers, census, directories and probate have been searched and you will find detail on:
* Death of Mr Malcolm Henry (Nip) Bishop in 1956. He had joined the IW Rifles at the age of 15 and served in Gallipoli. Later he fought with the Hants Regiment in France and was invalided from the Army with a severe leg wound. In his later life he was employed by British Railways at Ryde Pier Head.
* Death of Mr Thomas Alban Butler in 1901. Mr Butler had a long association with the Oddfellowship in Ryde.
* Death of Captain Aretas John Verling Collins in 1901. A stained-glass window was placed in Holy Trinity Church in his memory.
* Death of Mr Frank Farrand in 1916. Mr Farrand had been the Engineer and Manager of the Ryde Gaslight Company.
* Death of Mr Crighton Merrill of Binstead in 1963. Mr Merrill was a well known Solicitor in Ryde and a Town Councillor..
* Death of Mr Herbert Clifton Pragnell in 1954. For 13 years Mr Pragnell has served on the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert.
* Report of the inquest into the death in a cycling accident of James Ellis Spragg in 1910.
For the full list of additions please click on the link below.
If you are able to help with this fascinating aspect of our work and could spend even a short time at the Record Office, please contact Ann Barrett, the leader of our Research Team. You can contact Ann by clicking on the Contact button at the top of the page.