FAMILY HISTORY SHRINE WORKSHOP
We are running a FREE family history shrine workshop at the Heritage and Learning Centre in Ryde Cemetery on Saturday 10 May 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
A family history shrine is a lovely way to show your family history research and to honour your family.
At the workshop you will be shown how to make the tri-fold booklet, create beautiful backgrounds, add embellishments and tell the story of your family.
All the paper, paints and inks needed will be supplied and it will be fun and interesting day in a supportive and friendly environment.
If you would like to come along the workshop is FREE but you must book in advance as places are limited. Please use the Contact button at the top (right hand side) of the main page to register your interest.
Prior to the workshop you will have to do a little preparatory work:
* Decide on the shape of your trifold book
* Collect and make copies of old photos of family members. You could use original photos if you want but it is best to make copies (either photocopies or scan and print)
* Collect up any ephemera that is relevant, e.g old letters, maps, adverts, newspaper articles. (make photocopies or scan and print)
* Type and print or write out any headings, titles or text you want to include
* If you want to give your paper an ‘aged’ look you can try soaking it in cold black tea for a while. You will have to experiment with this as some printer inks wash off when the paper is made wet! If this is not successful you will be shown other ways to give paper an ‘aged’ look.
* Collect up things to decorate your shrine. These could include (but are not limited to) old lace, buttons, sequins, braid, ribbon, pieces of (flat) broken costume jewellery, decorative papers, stickers. Shops that sell craft materials often sell ready made embellishments.
* Work out a rough plan of how you want to lay out your shrine. We will be using 3 sheets of A4 card taped together to form a tri-fold booklet and we will be decorating both sides. So that gives 6 pages in total!
On the day you will need to bring:
* Everything you have collected
* A heat gun or hair dryer (to help dry the wet pages)
* A packed lunch (teas and coffees will be provided free)
* Lots of enthusiasm
* Any arts and crafts materials you may want to use.
Here are some examples of Family History Shrines and photos taken at a previous workshop
PLEASE DON’T FORGET TO BOOK YOUR PLACE IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO COME ALONG.