BARSBY LODGE, Pelham Fields
(also called Thomond House)
Built in 1857-1858, its first occupier was Mr. William Hall Gillson to whom it was leased on 11 February 1858 for 999 years, at an annual rent of £30.0.0. Mr. Gillson and family had previously lived at Corston House for a few months and Stonelands, Binstead-road for some years.
The Gillson’s named their new home Barsby Lodge, probably after Barsby, a chapelry in the parish of Ashby-Folville, Leicestershire near where William’s wife Maria and two daughters were born. Census returns show William was listed as a landed proprietor, born in Rutlandshire
Mrs Gillson died 12 January 1879 and Mr Gillson died the following year on 29 February 1880. The two unmarried daughters, Maria Jane and Marianne carried on living at Barsby Lodge until their deaths in 1893 and 1897. After the death of the last daughter the house was sold and the next occupier was the Rev. Robert Pender Hutchinson, M.A., who was still in occupation in 1903.
According to the Isle of Wight Kelly’s Directory
1910 Mr Ernest Shaw-Yeates was in occupation.
1951 Capt. Herbert Wilson Edwards, RN was the occupant
Image source: RSHG Archive Roy Brinton Collection