Ryde Social Heritage Group research the social history of the citizens of Ryde, Isle of Wight. Documenting their lives, businesses and burial transcriptions.
  • MENU

Ryde Architecture

(also called Glatton House)

Built in 1853 by James Langdon on a plot of land leased to him in 1851.

The first occupiers were Captain Archibald Hamilton Tattnall and his wife, who took up residence early in 1854.  The Captain served with the 92nd Highlanders (Gordon Highlanders), but according to an announcement in the local newspaper appears to have left the army by this date.  Soon after their arrival, the Captain’s wife gave birth on 25th March, to a daughter.  They only stayed at Brandenburg until the beginning of 1857 when they moved to No. 9 Brigstocke Terrace, Ryde.  In later years they moved to the village of Binstead, but the Captain continued to take an interest in local affairs, being chairman of the Committee of Ryde Infirmary.  He died 12th January 1893. more about Captain Tattnall here

The next occupiers of Brandenburg were Mr. and Mrs. James Walton who took a lease for 999 years at a ground rental of £26.0.0. from 12th March 1857.  According to the census returns James Walton was born in Surrey and was a Landed Proprietor with an income from houses and dividends. From local newspaper reports it would appear they had a son James and daughter Elizabeth.  Mr. and Mrs. Walton lived at Brandenburg until his death 20th December 1878, when his widow disposed of the house to Admiral Henry Trollope.

The Admiral took up residence in 1881 and stayed for 11 years.  According to records held at the National Maritime Museum he served in the Black sea in the Crimean War and on the China coast in 1868.  He retired a Captain in 1877 and was promoted to Rear-Admiral on the retired list. Little is known about his private life.  He died on 25th October 1914. In 1888, for some reason, Admiral Trollope changed the name of his house from Brandenburg to Glatton.

In September 1892 he gave up the house and moved to the mainland.  The property was put on the market and was taken by Mrs. Oglave, who stayed until 1897 when Mr. John Fardell, a local solicitor, took over the house and was still living there at the beginning of the new century.

source: RSHG Archive Roy Brinton Collection