ST GEORGE’S LODGE, Pelham Fields
Built in 1838 by builder James Langdon on a plot of land leased to him in that year.
The first known resident was the Hon. Miss Bell, being listed as occupier in the Newchurch Tithe Apportionment 1840. The next known resident was Mrs. Mitchell who had taken the house by 1846. Mrs. Mary Ann Mitchell was a widow born in London in 1791 and derived her income from land. Living with her was her unmarried daughter Ann. Mrs. Mitchell lived at St. George’s until 1859, but let the house in 1851 to Samuel Dick, esq., a gentleman born in Bombey, India in 1785 and described as a fundholder. Living with him was wife Sherron three daughters, Mary, Anne and Margaret.
The Dick family stayed for a year and were replaced by a Captain and Mrs. Douglas. They in turn only stayed about a year, when Mrs. Mitchell again took up residence. In 1859 the lady relinquished the lease and moved to Blenheim House, Spencer-road, Ryde.
On 1st June 1860 a new lease was granted for 999 years at an annual rental of £23 to Major-General Edmund F. Norris, who lived at St. George’s Lodge until his death on 4th December 1871. His widow continued to live there until her death in 1880 and in the following year the house was put on the market.
It was then taken for a short time by an American gentleman, Thomas Lindall Winthrop of Boston. He only stayed until 1885 when he moved to Buckland Grange, Spencer-road.
The next known occupant was the Rev. Walter Hugh Earle Welby, M.A., J.P., who was in residence by 1890. After his death in 1912 his widow purchased a house in West-street and had it converted to the “Welby Institute.”
Image: RSHG Archive Roy Brinton Collection