Pelham Fields – the photo (right) was taken c1971
Built in 1835 for Mr. Daniel List, who in his time was a well-known ship builder at Fishbourne on the Isle of Wight. Born 1782, Daniel was the second son of James List. Daniel List succeeded his father to the shipbuilding business as his older brother had died in 1825. The business already had a high reputation for skill and quality. In 1824 the yard built the second “Falcon,” a full rigged ship of 351-tons, for Lord Yarborough. Daniel List who had taken over the yard before his father’s death, built in 1826 an early paddle steamer for the Portsmouth-Ryde route. The 47-ton vessel which was named “Lord Yarborough” was launched on 14th June that year.
It is interesting to note that Daniel List was very conscious of his patron, naming his house after him and having it built on land which a few years earlier had been owned by Lord Yarborough.
About 1840 Daniel List gave up living at Yarborough Villa and moved to Fishbourne House which was near his yard. According to the Post Office Directories of the time it would appear that he had moved again about 1854 to Highfield, Newport Road, at this time his yard was being run by James Brain, a relation by marriage.
Although Daniel List had left Yarborough Villa circa 1840, he continued to hold the lease. The next known occupier was Mr. John Wilkinson, his wife, son and daughter. That family moved away in 1852 and were replaced by Rev. William Tilson Marsh who had moved here from Melville-street and was the incumbent of St. James Church.
The next occupiers were the Dowager Viscountess Lifford and her two youngest daughters. The Dowager Viscountess stayed at Yarborough Villa until 1861 when they left Ryde, and in October 1861 the latest arrivals list announced that the Prince and Princess Anatole Bariantinsky had taken Yarborough-villa, Pelham-field.
For the next eight years it is difficult to trace all the occupiers of the Villa but it is known that Dr Learmouth and his wife were there in 1862. Then a Mrs. and Miss Beauclerk were there from 1863 till 1864. Mr and Mrs Draper and family were there in October 1864, and a Mr. and Mrs. Crawshay in 1866. During the eight-year period 1862 to 1869 the house was put up for sale three times, and from the advertisements we know that the house had three reception rooms and nine bedrooms, also that the ground rent was £18 per annum.
In 1870 Yarborough Villa had a new owner, Mr. Arthur E. Turner who had purchased the lease from the executors of Daniel List. Mr. Turner appears to have used the house only occasionally, as it was rented out to visitors most of the time.
For example: In 1871 it was rented to Mr. Charles Troyle; In 1872 the house was occupied by Lieut-Col. Becher and family; In 1873 the Hon. and Mrs. Greaves and family rented it; In 1876 Mrs. Turner and family returned but only stayed for a few months, and again the house was tenanted by short-stay visitors until 1879 when Colonel John William and Mrs. Garlick took over the house and stayed until about 1886.
The next known occupier was Major-General George Augustus Williams, retired on full pay, who stayed until 1897. In the following year Mr. George Parsons took over the house, he was a man who had travelled a great deal. He was a keen sportsman. He was still residing at Yarborough Villa in 1903. By 1910 a Mr. George Quayle was the occupant.
Sources: Hampshire Telegraph, Directories, Census, and Fashionable List
Photo: Roy Brinton Collection
Article: Ann Barrett