A Ryde Businessman
CHARLES STEPHEN QUELCH (1849-1928)
Charles Stephen Quelch was born 1849, son of John and Jane Quelch, he was a native of Ryde. At the time of the 1871 census he was living at Summer View, Esplanade, Ryde, with his mother and step-father, Samuel Kemp, his father John having died in 1856. Charles was listed as a carpenter. Charles Quelch was obviously a very forward thinking man as he had plans for the erection of a store in Monkton Street which were approved in February 1878 by the Public Works Committee, his own business had been established in 1877. By 1881 records show he was a coal and corn merchant at Monkton Street, Station Yard, St John’s Road and Park Road, he also had stables in Winton-street, Ryde. He was a well-known member of the community, and because of the great demand in the latter part of the 19th century for coal, hay and corn, the business had thrived and expanded a great deal. Going by the many tenders for Hay and Corn submitted to the local Public Works Committee, which were almost always accepted, he was a very shrewd businessman.
His Stables and Coach-house in Winton-street were established in the 1870’s (Photo right). The property was completely renovated throughout by early 1898 and Quelch began to place large adverts weekly in the local press, for Stalls and Coach-Houses to let by the week, month or year. Just a few months later his business had expanded even more, and he was calling it Winton Street Private Stables and he was offering Loose Boxes, Stalls and Coach-houses to let, also Goods Warehoused in separate Lock-ups. The address to apply to for terms and to view was 93 Monkton-street. Quelch was also listed as a Corn & Coal Merchant and Forage Contractor.
Mr Quelch was one of the Directors of the Ryde Building Society in 1890, and still held that position in 1898. The Society offices were at 62 Union Street.
One of Quelch’s hobbies was his keen interest in the Isle of Wight Rabbit, Cavy and Cage Bird Association, where he won many prizes. At a show in the Oddfellows’ Hall on December 1891 one of his Pigeons was judged as highly commended.
On 27 August 1910 Mr Quelch put an advertisement in the Isle of Wight Observer, stating: C. S. Quelch begs to thank his numerous customers for their kind patronage during the past 35 years, and owing to the closing of his business premises, now attends sales on commission etc. Accounts also collected. Address: 6 Winton Street, Ryde.
Charles Stephen Quelch died at 6 Winton Street on 11 November 1928. More about Mr Quelch here
The building in Winton Street is now Grade 11 Listed and known as Tyro House. It was the IW Housing Association project to convert it into 12 new homes, 3 two-bedroom and 9 single-bedroom units. It was completed and opened in March 2000. It fell into disrepair in the 1980’s and was derelict prior to the work starting on it in April 1999.
Sources: IW Observer, Census Returns and RSHG Archive
Image: RSHG Archive Roy Brinton Collection