DENBIGH HOUSE, George Street, Ryde
John Cooper, a brewer & maltster, and his three sisters were living at Denbigh House from at least 1851 until his death in November 1865. His sisters only remained until August 1866, when they removed from the house and the furniture and effects were sold by auction on the 28th of that month.
On the 22nd October 1866 the local press carried the notice that ‘Mr and Mrs Broome Pinniger have removed from Shalfleet House to Denbigh House, George Street’. Mr Broome Pinniger was a surgeon, in partnership with John Menham Pletts, M.D. surgeon of Melville Street. The Pinniger family resided at the house till late 1876. There was no listing for the house in November 1876, so it was probably empty for a short while till the middle of the following year.
The next residents at Denbigh House were Mr Horace Octavius Colyer and his family, he was a dental surgeon, who moved there sometime during 1877. By 1898 he also had premises at 42 High-street, Ryde. Mr Colyer died in 1927, when the dental practice was taken over by Mr Wordsworth.
Mr Howard Wordsworth was born at Southsea, and was a member of an old Yorkshire family. He was educated privately and trained at the Royal Dental Hospital, taking his L.D.S., R.C.S., in 1905. Shortly afterwards he came to Ryde, where he joined Mr. H. O. Colyer at Denbigh House and on whose death, he succeeded to the practice, retiring on health grounds in late 1948. Mr Wordsworth died in January 1950.
Howard Wordsworth had been interested in amateur acting from his early days, and took part in many local productions before the Ryde Amateur Players were formed between the two world wars. Their two productions each year reached a degree of perfection comparing favourably with the best professional acting. In comedy and drama Mr Wordsworth was eminently successful, due to his natural histrionic ability and his insistence on correct detail.
His work as a water-colour artist was perhaps not so well known, although he had on occasions shown at the exhibitions of the I.W. Art Club. He was a prominent in Freemasonry. He was a trustee of the Paxton Club at Swanmore, and a vice president of the Bellvue Players. Although of a retiring disposition, he made many friends, who remembered him for his gentle ways, kindness of heart and sense of humour.
In 1951 Mrs Wordsworth (widow) was still living at Denbigh House, and the dental surgeon in practice was Mr Charles W. Audsley, L.D.S. By 1966 the practice was in the names of Audsley & Rooney, and they were still there in 1970.
Sources: IW Observer, IW County Press, RSHG Archive
Image: RSHG Archive & Roy Brinton Collection
Article: Ann Barrett