Isle of Wight Observer:
Apr 2nd 1921: THE COASTGUARD – In connection with the re-organisation and distribution of Coastguard stations, Ryde is included in those that are to be closed by Admiralty instructions.
Apr 2nd 1921: EASTER BAND – An excellent programme was submitted both on Sunday afternoon and evening in the Western Enclosure by the Band of the Royal Ulster Rifles, who made their first appearance for the season and their playing met with great appreciation from large audiences.
Apr 2nd 1921: AUCTION – On Wednesday and Thursday last Messrs PURNELL and PURNELL brought under the hammer the contents of the residence, Spencer Lodge, Ryde, by direction of Lieut. Col. J. F. C. HAMILTON who has left the Island. High prices were realised and the bidding was very spirited from buyers attending from London and all parts.
Apr 2nd 1921: RACES – Quite a large company went by char-a-banc and motor car from Ryde to Hatherfield on the occasion of the I.W. Hunt Point to Point races. It was a revival that met with much favour and popularity and the Clerk of the Weather was in his best mood. “Alf Mack” was there and met quite a crowd of friends and college chums. “Alf” was very busy paying out on Mrs Willis FLEMING’S fine chaser, which was a firm favourite and romped home in good style.
Apr 2nd 1921: CHARITABLE – Mr Bert CHAPMAN informs us that a Whist Drive and Dance is being arranged on behalf of the Children’s Orphanage, in Spencer-road, which is badly in need of assistance.
Apr 2nd 1921: AN HOUR LOST – Clocks and watches should be put forward an hour tonight (Saturday), for it is summer time, according to law. “Oh Lor” many will remark the next morning.
Apr 9th 1921: MEMORIAL TABLET – An impressive Memorial Service and unveiling took place at Ryde Post Office, on Sunday afternoon on the occasion of the dedication of a Mural Tablet to the memory of the five members of the staff who fell in the war. The tablet which occupies a prominent position in the front public office, has for its heading “Their name live for evermore.”
Apr 16th 1921: CANOE LAKE – It was reported to the Council by the Borough Surveyor that 40 men were taken on for extending the Canoe Lake and that the work was progressing satisfactorily.
Apr 16th 1921: WEIGHING MACHINES – Permission has been granted to the British Automatic Co to place two of their weighing machines in the Eastern Esplanade gardens on the same terms as those in the Western, and have also required Messrs LININGTON and REEVES to comply as regards the machines belonging to them in Eastern Gardens and Canoe Lake.
Apr 16th 1921: SUMMER EMPLOYEES – Mr. H. MATTICK is engaged as cashier at the Canoe Lake at wages of £2 per week to be increased to £2 10s. as from Whitsun. The Surveyor was instructed to advertise for a man and two women to act as bathing attendants at £2 for the man and 25s. each for the women.
Apr 16th 1921: RETIREMENT – Mr W. ROWE on retiring from the service on pension was presented by the Ryde, Newport and Bembridge P.O. Staffs with a handsome mahogany eight-day clock with suitably engraved plate. There was also a beautiful mounted Briar pipe and tobacco outfit from the Engineering staff. The female staff gave a handsome Kangaroo skin tobacco pouch. Mr ROWE completed over 34 years’ service in the Ryde Post Office having served under five different Postmasters.
Apr 30th 1921: ADVERT – Miss SIBLEY, late of Summer View, Esplanade, begs to inform the inhabitants of Ryde that she has resumed the Knitting business at Ferndale, Monkton-street; also plain Needlework.