Ryde Social Heritage Group research the social history of the citizens of Ryde, Isle of Wight. Documenting their lives, businesses and burial transcriptions.
  • MENU

July 1923

Isle of Wight County Press:

July 7th 1923:  COTTAGE GARDEN COMPETITION – St. John’s Women’s Institute, Ryde, held a highly successful flower show and cottage garden competition on Saturday.  The Parish-hall presented a pretty spectacle, gay lines of streamers forming an appropriate setting for the many beautiful exhibits.  Laura Lady SIMEON (president of the County Federation of I.W. Women’s Institution) performed the opening ceremony.

July 7th 1923:  NURSING ASSOCIATION – At the Annual General Meeting of this Association at the Town-hall on Tuesday, the question of nursing cases of tuberculosis in the homes of the patients had been discussed, and the Committee had decided that these now should be undertaken for a fixed payment for each visit.  Most useful help had been received as the result of certain people in the town, and the East Medina Lodge of Oddfellows had given a grant of £30.

July 7th 1923:  NEW CARRIAGES – To provide increased and improved accommodation for passengers on the Island railways, nine carriages of the latest type have been delivered this week from the Eastleigh works of the South Western section of the Southern Railways.  The vehicles were shipped at Portsmouth Dockyard and landed direct on the railway line at Ryde Pier by the Admiralty large floating crane on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  The carriages are fitted with electric light and communications cords.

July 21st 1923:  MUNICIPAL ENTERPRISE – It appears that the first of the season’s fireworks displays was anything but a financial success.  The main cause of failure was the lack of advertising, as only a proportion of the townsfolk—whether residents or visitors—were aware of the arrangements. Secondly, the charge of 1s. for admission to the esplanade during the display proved too high; naturally so, for a firework display cannot be hidden under a bushel. Those who wanted to witness it watched from the Pier for twopence.

July 21st 1923:  BROOKFIELD – This spacious residential building is being extensively repaired and extended for the owner, Mr. W. F. BRIGSTOCKE, J.P.

July 21st 1923 – NEW RESTAURANT – In connection with the Crown Hotel, was formally opened on Thursday, when a dinner was given by Mr. E. BROWNING, under whose proprietorship the hotel has become increasingly popular. After the excellent repast, served with characteristic efficiency, success was wished to the host in appropriate short speeches.  The new dining hall, which is tastefully decorated and furnished, would fulfil a need.  Upstairs is an excellent up-to-date and well-furnished billiard-room.

July 21st 1923:  AN ISLANDER’S NOTES – I have received a copy of “The Ryde-Grammarian” for May.  It is the magazine of the Ryde Grammar-school, and consists of some 40 well-printed and illustrated pages, ably edited by Mr. D. J. LEWIS.  The contents give considerable insight into the life, works, recreations, and general tone of the school, all of which seem most admirable.

July 21st 1923:  TENNIS – There are numerous entries for the Ryde annual Lawn Tennis Tournament, which opens on Monday.  Sir G. A. THOMAS, the holder of the gentlemen’s singles championship, will defend his title, but Mrs. STOCKS, holder of the Ladies’ singles, has not entered this year.

July 28th 1923:  FAIR ACCIDENT – An Arreton youth has been detained at the County Hospital as the results of a fall from a swing at a fair in Blake’s meadow, St. John’s-road.  His legs were severely injured.

July 28th 1923:  WESTWING COLLEGE SUCCESSES – In the examinations of the Royal Drawing Society; of 77 girls entered 64 passed, 27 with honours. Patricia TANNER has, at the age of 13, gained the full school honours certificate of the Society.

July 28th 1923:  “DAY” DANCES – Alfred SIMS, of the Lion Hotel, applied for occasional licenses in respect of dances to be held at the Town-hall in July, August, and September.  The hours applied for were from 8.30 to 11 p.m.  Inspector HAWKINS said that the police did not object, but observation would be kept.