Ryde Social Heritage Group research the social history of the citizens of Ryde, Isle of Wight. Documenting their lives, businesses and burial transcriptions.
  • MENU

Photo of the month

Mainly used as private accommodation, but at some time during the 1930's and 1940's, it was used as a nursing home, although that was very short-lived.

Belmont House in George Street, Ryde, was demolished in 1997 to make way for the Foyer project.

The Temperance Hall, High Street, Ryde, was built in 1884 and used for lectures. It was on the site of the old Wesleyan Methodist Chapel which was built in 1858. It became the Bijou Cinema showing silent films and featuring a pianist.

Savoy Tutorial College, formerly the Hotel Victoria. Built in 1872 on the site of the Old Vine Inn

Photographs of the Old Steam Flour Mill in Green Street, Ryde, just before demolition.

Side view of the Congregational School room built c1856 – photographed in 1973

More photographs of the stairway inside the Royal York Hotel during its hay day.

This is another photo of the front entrance of the property in St. Thomas's Street, Ryde, formerly the home of Fernao de Castel Branco, who was the self-styled Count of Ryde.