Ryde Social Heritage Group research the social history of the citizens of Ryde, Isle of Wight. Documenting their lives, businesses and burial transcriptions.
  • MENU

Other items

This building opened as a pub around 1845, it was called the Original Inn, and In 1894, what was without doubt, deemed as the oldest house in Ryde,

Charles Stephen Quelch was born 1849, son of John and Jane Quelch, he was a native of Ryde.

As early as 1875 the medical officer of health reported that the borough was able to receive cases of smallpox and other infectious diseases, so there was provision of a hospital for such cases at that date. 

The first evidence found relating to Coastguards in Ryde dated from around 1835/36 and by 1848 there were 10 coastguards commanded by a Lieutenant from the Royal Navy.

In 1876 a number of benevolent Christians of Ryde endeavoured to do something to remedy the condition of the cabmen. 

In the 19th century the people of Ryde went to great lengths to provide entertainment during the season for the inhabitants and the elite who came to the Island.

The game of ping-pong had been very popular and there was every sign of its permanence in society drawing-rooms. Ladies being far and away the best players.

The Ashey Races attracted a great many people from all sections of the community, not only the gentry who would arrive in their carriages, but the Railway Company put on special trains on race days for the general public.